Gotta Get Up and Tri

I love a good challenge. After years of playing with the idea of doing a triathlon, I registered for one back in February. I immediately joined the YMCA and started swimming a few days a week to start getting used to it. This week officially starts my triathlon training, and I have to admit that I'm not looking forward to it.

Here's the thing - I don't dig the swimming. As a matter of fact I find it extremely inconvenient. Running is easy - I get up, throw on running clothes and shoes, and I'm out the door. Swimming is a process. I get up, drive to the Y, change, swim, change again, drive home. It's a whole thing. I don't mind the actual swimming once I'm there, but it's merely bearable not enjoyable.

I know the cross training is good for me. My running times this spring have been really great. I just love running, and it's really all I want to do. I'm forcing myself to push through in order to cross the swim days off the list.

I'm sure that finishing the triathlon will be an amazing experience. I love the idea of crossing it off my bucket list. It's just that a busy job and travel schedule combined with moving to a new house AND triathlon training is a bit much even for me. 

I've talked about doubt and motivation, and it's taking a lot of energy to push through the doubts and remain motivated to do this race in just under eight weeks.  It would be easy to decide I don't enjoy the swimming, and just change my mind. I could easily not do the race and sleep in on June 22 instead of barrel into the water with several hundred of my closest friends. But that would be the easy route to take. Anything worth doing should challenge you and make you stronger. So I'll be at the pool tomorrow at 5:30 am. I may grumble, but in the end the challenge will be worth it. 

For no real reason - a pic of me zip lining in Northern Michigan a few summers ago. I like challenges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chats with my Colorectal Surgeon (and other health musings)

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

The Art of Letting Go