Main Street is the Climax of Civilization

Sinclair Lewis declared Main Street to the climax of civilization. This is one of my all-time favorite quotes, and it is the reason why I am so excited to be moving downtown. It's taking a lot of energy, a lot of time, and it's all so worth it.

At the end of last week we closed on our new house - our dream house in Downtown Lansing. I'll be honest - I'm exhausted, and the fun is just getting started. Last Saturday I did my first "brick" of triathlon training - I biked an hour and ran for 15 minutes. I was warned about how my legs would feel after the bike, but nothing could've prepared me. They felt like Jello, and the first few minutes of my run felt like I was running under water. 

Later that day we took possession of our fabulous new house, and we spent the afternoon taking multiple full car loads of stuff. I love books (we have hundreds of them), and there are built in bookshelves in our finished attic. It seemed like a great idea to trudge up two flights of stairs carrying boxes of books for several hours. My legs and arms were on fire by the evening.

The alarm went off at 5:15 this morning, and I forced myself to head to the pool. After a really strong 40 minute swim I was out and getting ready for work work. By 6:30 a.m. I was completely exhausted.  

Despite my general, self-inflicted exhaustion first thing this morning, I have entirely more energy than I'm entitled to have. I'm so excited to be moving to Downtown Lansing. Main Street IS the climax of civilization. Nobody has ever said a mall is the climax of civilization or a cul de sac or a cookie cutter subdivision by the freeway. They are what is destroying downtowns.

When I sit on our new front porch and check out the view that includes the Michigan Capitol dome, I know we're making the best decision. Cities are where it's happening. There are festivals, 5ks, restaurants - all within walking distance. I can't wait to be in the middle of the action. It's worth a few tired mornings.

The view from our front porch
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits