Using R&R wisely

I'm sure it's not surprising that I'm still not thrilled to be sidelined for a few more weeks. It doesn't matter that I certainly don't feel like running, and I realize it's important to listen to my body. It's just the idea that someone is telling me I can't do something. My instinct is to push back and do the opposite. In this case what I'm doing is planning my running schedule for the upcoming few months. It keeps me motivated.

My mandatory rest time ends on November 19, just in time for me to jump into the Turkey Trot 5k in Detroit on Thanksgiving Day. I love running in Detroit (it's one of my favorite cities), and I am a little disappointed that I will have to run the 5k instead of the 10k. At any rate, I am very excited to join the thousands of runners doing this race. I've wanted to run this race for a number of years, and we've been out of town visiting my family over Thanksgiving the past three years. I am so excited.

After running the Detroit Marathon last year, I swore I would never do another full. Famous last words, right? Earlier this week I registered for the Cellcom Marathon in Green Bay in May. I am excited to get back into a marathon training schedule even though I may be singing another tune when I'm doing my long runs. I hear Green Bay is a beautiful city, and I think it'll be a nice weekend trip to Wisconsin for the race.

I started running through Team in Training, and at that time I really didn't enjoy raising the money. Now I'm thinking it would be fun to do another Team in Training race in the fall. It's such a good cause, and there is a great support system. Plus it's an opportunity to mark another cool town off my list. I'm not sure what the fall line-up will be for the Lansing area team, but the spring races include Madrid and Vancouver. Those are both towns I'd love to run and visit.

I'm not good at recovering, but I am good at planning. Next year is going to be full of races. I'll be back in action in exactly 3 weeks.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits