10-4

This day is my favorite day of all the days. This is the day where I've lived my best life. This is a day when I've laughed, I've cried, and every year I am filled with joy as I reflect on the love in my life. Ten years ago today I married my husband, and four years ago today our son was born. 


From our son's newborn photos. 
This dress weighed 15 pounds, and I regret nothing. 
I'm at a bit of a loss for words as I try to describe how much I love this day. On my son's first birthday I asked how to measure a year of love. Three years have flown by since I wrote that blog as we celebrate 10 and 4. Here's what I know about marriage and parenting: the highs and lows are equally amazing and daunting. The great days are amazing and the hard days feel impossible. But each and every day my husband and son make me happy. Does that mean I'm happy all day every day? Nope. But I feel joy each and every day.


Meeting our son for the first time. 
Looking good after ten years.

I remember in 2008 thinking that December would be crazy because of our wedding, but the next year would be fine. It turns out in a life filled with insanity that December is consistently our busiest month. We have a birthday and anniversary on the same day, but we also have the holidays and shopping and Christmas parties and often a crazy legislature that affects one or both of us depending on the year. December is insane, and I find myself consumed by the business of the season each year. I remind myself over and over to take a deep breath and enjoy the magic. Our son is over the moon about Christmas, and I need to take a minute and feel it.

Will's first picture with Santa at 10 days old

Sassy pants and Santa at nearly four years old in 2018


I have a colleague who regularly says that wellness comes in many forms. This time of year it's easy to lose sight of the magic. I've been really stressed, so I'm forcing myself to take stock this holiday season. I'm saying no to things that don't make me happy. I'm saying yes to things like taking a few hours to take my son to the science museum and decorating cupcakes and cookies again just because my little dude wants to.

December 13 is a date that reminds me of what's most precious in my life. It reminds me to snuggle both of my boys and be grateful for this adventure we have together. We're not perfect, and we certainly don't always get it right. But we adore each other, and that's what counts the most. Happy 10th anniversary Honey and happy 4th birthday to our little buddy! I love you both the most.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Reasons Why Diet Culture is Garbage: I Poop a Lot and I'm Always Hungry

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?