Finding Me, 3.1 Miles at a Time

It's been a rough few years for me as a runner. I've blogged over and over again about how this is it; this is when I'm getting my running mojo back! And then I've found myself running once a week again...if I'm lucky. Back in October I blogged that I was putting a beginner half marathon training schedule on my calendar, and it's helped. I've been running 2-3 days a week at 5 am, and it's not easy. But there are no shortcuts. I know I have to do the work. 

Four years ago, after spending a month in the hospital and losing 20 pounds, I wondered if there was a magic formula. I know there isn't. I know that I simply need to do the work (although I'd be lying if I said I hadn't wished for a teeny Crohn's flare to shed a few pounds...which is totally messed up.)

Since the beginning of November I've been prioritizing exercise. I feel stronger. Happier. Healthier. Am I running the number of miles I thought I would? Not exactly. I was hoping to be back in half marathon shape in January, and at this rate I won't get there. 

I do know, however, that running races is part of what keeps me sane. Even if I'm not back to 13.1 in early 2019, I need to get back to running races. I last ran a 5k in July, and to remedy this I registered for a flurry of 5ks late this year. 

In the last few weeks I ran three 5ks. It started with running the Silver Bells 5k in Downtown Lansing while pushing my 3-year-old son in the stroller. I've never done a race while pushing him (and actually rarely run with the stroller). My goal was to run the entire race without walking. It was a gorgeous morning for the race, and we walked from our house to the start line. 


Pre-Silver Bells 5k with my little ham.
During the race my son was yelling at people walking "Stop walking! Why are you giving up?" He's quite the cheerleader. I met my goal and didn't walk the entire race. I finished in 31 minutes even, and I'll take it. It felt great to be back out there.

Less than a week later I bundled up to run the Morgantown Running Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning in my hometown of Morgantown, WV. I ran in the inaugural race a few years ago, and it's a fast, flat course in one of my favorite places in the world. I finished in a respectable (for me at my current fitness level) 27:16.


Warming up before the Turkey Trot
The next weekend I ran the Scrooge Scramble in Old Town Lansing on an icy, snowy course. I ran it in 28:03, nearly five minutes slower than my PR. But here's the thing: until reflecting on these races on my blog, I haven't been thinking of my PR. I've been focusing on getting back into the routine of running. I've been getting up early, bundling up and joining hundreds of runner friends to slowly get back into it. 


With friends before the Scrooge Scamble
Next year I want to get back to the half marathon distance, but for now I'm taking this 3.1 slow miles at a time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Reasons Why Diet Culture is Garbage: I Poop a Lot and I'm Always Hungry

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?