Resolved: Carpe Diem, A Need for Speed, and Overall Awesomeness

Dear 2013: it's you; not me. After a spectacularly difficult year (culminating with six days without power over Christmas), 2013 finally hit the road. In fairness we did end the year with a lovely trip to California, but I won't let that derail this important point.  But even with the highlights of 2013, I wasn't sad to see her go.

Now here we are in 2014, and this, THIS is going to be a good year. We were in Pasadena to witness my husband's Michigan State Spartans win the 2014 Rose Bowl on New Year's Day in brilliant fashion, and that's enough to keep him happy for months (which naturally makes me happy as well). During our trip to California I decided that 2014 is the year that I will make an effort to seize the moment, to run faster, and to challenge myself even more than usual (to increase my overall awesomeness quota).

I've spent a lot of the last few years putting things on hold because we might have a baby. I've tried not to do that, but it's really difficult. This year I'm going to live my life like I'm waiting for nothing. It will be two years in March since we were approved to adopt, and statistically our having a child will likely happen sooner rather than later. But I'm no longer holding my breath and saying, "Well we might do that if we don't have a baby." This year I'm saying yes to more of the things I want to do regardless of what might happen in the future. Life is unpredictable, and this Type A personality is going to embrace the unpredictable.

Speaking of - my first challenge of 2014 is going to be a triathlon.  Nearly two years ago I wrote a blog inquiring whether I should try a tri. I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger then, but this year is the year. In June I'm registered for the Tri Goddess Tri, a women's only triathlon just about an hour away from Lansing. I've done three marathons, but 26.2 doesn't compare to the nerves I have for a half mile swim. But it's a fantastic challenge, and I'm really excited to some more comprehensive training that encompasses more than just running.

In 2014 I also feel the need for speed. My personal bests are all a little stale, and it's time to take them all out. I ran my 5k PR of 26:00 in 2011, and in 2014 I will break 26 minutes.  My 10k PR is 57:10, and this year I will break 57 minutes.  Perhaps the most frustrating PR of all is that of my half marathon. After 13 half marathons I've never broken the two hour mark. My PR is 2:02, and this year that changes. This is the year I run a sub-two hour half marathon.  And I will break five hours in the NYC Marathon in November.  This is going to require lots of speed work, but I'm up to the challenge.

This is the year that I try more, I push my limits, and I figure out exactly what I'm made of.  2014 is going to be a glorious year. I'm looking forward to new adventures and new challenges. Let's do this!

Looking forward. Cheers to 2014!
       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits