Yes, I'm Taking the Biggest Suitcase

My husband and I travel more than the average bears, and I've got packing (particularly running gear) down to a science. This weekend/early next week I'm heading to northern Michigan for a work trip, and I've already packed my must have running travel gear. It takes up a lot of room, but it's totally worth it.

A lot of runners live and die by a running watch. I wear one during long races, but I don't really use it to time myself. It's not a fancy watch but rather a Timex Ironman from Target. It keeps me on a general schedule. Every time I use my watch to try to get a PR I become obsessed with that goal instead of just enjoying the run. My watch's main goal is to let me know how much time is left before the race starts. I try to ignore it once I get started in a race. I take it with me when I travel, because I often prefer to run a number of minutes instead of specific miles so I can enjoy a new town.

Lots of runners use different fuel - Gu, Clif Bloks, etc. I am a huge fan of the Jelly Belly sports beans. Not only are they delicious, but they give me the perfect amount of fuel before a race. I used to eat Clif Blocks, but I found the gummy to become a little too chewy before or during a race. Jelly Belly are the best for me. On our last trip to DC I discovered the best thing - caffeinated Jelly Belly sports beans. Genius. Pure genius. There are already a few packs in my suitcase for my long run on Saturday.

Traveling in the winter in Michigan means lots of cold weather running gear. Tights, jackets, Smart Wool socks, hats, gloves. It's a lot of stuff. My husband was laughing at the large suitcase I'm taking for just five nights, but I swear it's mostly filled with running gear. That includes my travel foam roller which I have found to be amazingly helpful and compact. I don't leave home without it.

Modeling my new winter jacket I got for Christmas. It's so warm, but it takes up a lot of room in the suitcase.

Due to our extra snowy winter I also invested in a pair of Ice Trekkers for my running shoes. I'll be in Marquette, Michigan (as close to as far north as I can get in Michigan...on Lake Superior), and it will be snowy. I'm excited to try out my Trekkers before the Groundhog Half Marathon in a few weeks. I haven't used them yet, so this should be interesting.

It's hard to beat the winter blues, but even if it means I have to take the biggest suitcase I own, the running gear is coming along.  Space has limited me to one pair of heels for this trip. Oh the sacrifices this girl makes for running.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits