I run naked.

I wonder how many people are reading this wondering if I'm actually running nude? If you are, please stop being a perv. By naked I mean without technology. Sans iPod. Sans watch. Just enjoying the scenery without musical enhancement. I am a naked runner, and I can't imagine it any other way.

I don't run with my iPod outside (only on a treadmill out of boredom), and although I've tried it a few times I'm not a fan. I like the sounds that accompany running - dogs barking, kids playing, the sound of fall leaves crunching under my feet. When I have music on I feel insulated from the world, and it feels lonely. It also feels slightly unsafe. Sometimes in the morning when I still feel half asleep I worry that someone is going to attack me from behind. If I was listening to music I'd never hear them coming.

This time of year it's a real challenge to stay motivated. It's dark when I get up, and it's dark when I get home from work. Here in Michigan the streets and sidewalks get icy, and they won't thaw entirely until spring. There's always a surprise patch of ice waiting to trip you up. My runs outside are a little slower, a lot more cautious, and they require all of my attention. Running with music just feels unsafe this time of year.

Sometimes I'll run on the treadmill, but I really REALLY hate it. I pretty much only do it when it's extremely icy or there is heavy snow or rain. Otherwise I tough it out - just me and the road with no music. 

A number of races discourage runners from listening to music, and I totally agree. I've been running behind runners in a crowded field who are listening to music and stop right in front of you without knowing you're behind them. There's a lack of awareness of the course, and it can be very frustrating. For me there's an atmosphere to race day - the magic of the start, spectators, enjoying the scenery and being in the moment. Music takes that away for me.

I know so many people who run with music and tied to their watch. We all have to do what works for us. But for me, it's definitely running naked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits