A 2013 resolution: spend more time in Detroit

I am not a native Michigander. I've lived here for nearly seven years, and there are things about Michigan that I really don't like (I'd put the weather at the top of the list). There are other things, however, that I've fallen in love with. One of those gems (perhaps surprisingly to some of you) is the City of Detroit.  After living here only a few months I fell unabashedly in love with the City. Its mystery, its beauty, and even its fall are all part of what makes it unique.

When my husband and I were first dating we went to Detroit quite frequently for ball games, dinner, or just to hang out. It became more difficult after we got our dog, and these days we get to Detroit much less frequently than either of us would like. Despite that, we are both lovers of the City. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the challenges it faces, but I always feel delighted to work for an organization that will be part of its revitalization.  

My husband and I have maintained a membership to the Detroit Institute of Arts for several years, and we love going to the DIA. Just a few weeks ago we met friends at Green Dot Stables, a fab new eatery on West Lafayette. This place is DELICIOUS. It menu is eclectic, and it gives you the opportunity to mix and match lots of different culinary treats. The mystery meat of the day was kangaroo. Seriously. I ordered three sliders (the Cuban, the Lamb and the Catfish), chili cheese fries and mac 'n cheese (how I roll) AND a Moscow Mule, one of the best cocktails known to man. A trip to Detroit is worth it simply to eat here.

Oh yeah - this happened.
We headed to the DIA to see the Faberge exhibit, and it was amazing. The museum is always a great treat, and the exhibit was everything we could've imagined - intricate, mysterious and haunting. 

As we were leaving we both marveled at how great it was to spend a day in Detroit, and how in this new year we resolve to do it more frequently. Detroit is like a mistress - sexy, mysterious, a little naughty, and something you just keep coming back to. I love watching the city gradually change through all of the grassroots and community efforts. We're 90 miles away, and we don't really get to be part of it in the way we'd like. But we're always pushing for Detroit, and placemaking is spreading across the city like a wildfire. It's a brilliant thing to see, and it's one of the many reasons why we love the D.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits