Love me, love my scars.

When I ran my first half marathon in 2006, I ran with Team in Training to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. To run the Nike Women's Half in San Francisco the fundraising minimum was sizable - around $3600. It was a lot of work to train for my first race as a novice runner while fundraising. I was overwhelmed, had an IT band injury, and I was just generally overwhelmed with fundraising even though it is an amazing cause.

Running for Team in Training. Such great support.
As someone with Crohn's, I think a lot about running for a cause again. I considered doing Team Challenge this year for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation, but none of the event dates work in our schedule. Believe me when I say my life is tightly scheduled months in advance. It's a little ridiculous.

I have a lot of friends who do Team in Training or run for other worthy causes, and I donate 100 percent of the time because I know how difficult fundraising can be. I haven't turned down a single ask for money for runners in the last six years. I'm a sure thing.

I've been thinking a lot lately of how to link my running to a good cause. Maybe it's for Crohn's. Maybe it should be for an organization that supports communities like the Michigan Municipal League Foundation (who I already donate to anyway). I run a lot of races, and it seems that I should be putting all of this energy to good use.


Yesterday I came across a campaign (thanks to the networking wonder of Twitter) called Scars R Sexy which helps people embrace scars as part of their story. I was watching the videos and reading the stories, and it was inspiring. I had me thinking of the many, many scars I have and how they affect me as a person. As an accident prone child I had stitches in my face three times before I was 7 - in my chin from it's contact with a dresser, in my forehead from contact with a coffee table and in my lip from a dog bite. I've had four abdominal surgeries, and my once flat, beautiful stomach now looks like a road map. I had melanoma removed from my shin and numerous other moles elsewhere on my body. Those scars tell the story of who I am.


This campaign made me think again about how to use my running for the greater good - how to inspire people and make the most of something I love. When I did Team in Training I couldn't help but be inspired by the amazing people involved in that campaign.  There are so many people and organizations that inspire me - whether they are overcoming adversity or working to make their communities better. Now I need to dig in and figure out how to make the most of running these towns.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits