Guilty pleasures

I'm only mildly ashamed to admit that I love McDonald's. I know it's disgusting, and I know it's bad for me, but I don't care. When I finish a long run, there is nothing I want more than Chicken McNuggets and fries. Maybe a hot fudge sundae for good measure.


I'm not one of these people who runs and eats healthy. I get that if I did I'd probably lose weight and probably be faster. I don't have horrible eating habits all the time (although admittedly they aren't the best), but if I can't indulge in some ice cream every now and then what's the point in running?!?

One of the most interesting things I've found in traveling and running is how many calories I must burn on vacation.  (I'm not a calorie counter so I can really only speculate.)  We do a lot of walking and sightseeing in addition to my running, so I'm generally on the go the entire trip. That's why I get to enjoy things like key lime martinis, Dunkin' Donuts cappuccinos, a good Cabernet and butternut squash tortellini. My theory is that running these towns keeps me skinny (reason #673 to register for a race and book a trip!)

Enjoying some Dunkin' Donuts coffee in Boston
We are actually taking a little trip hiatus for a few months (it's so weird!) and I'm not registered for a race until March 18.  I'm solidly in the middle of marathon training, and the only real down side is that it gets difficult to do races because I have to do longer runs on the weekend.  So for a few weeks my runs are relegated to my neighborhood and the river trail in Lansing. Don't worry, though - my running races/traveling is only in hibernation for a few weeks. In the mean time I am not giving up my guilty pleasures - it's likely I will hit the McDonald's drive-through after my long run tomorrow.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chats with my Colorectal Surgeon (and other health musings)

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

The Art of Letting Go