My Race/Place Bucket List Redux

Nearly six years ago I wrote a blog about my race/place bucket list. Since then we've done a lot of traveling, and I've run a lot of races. In that time my bucket list has also evolved as bucket lists are wont to do.

As mentioned in that blog I ran the LL Bean 10k in 2012, and it was awesome. I ran the New York Marathon in 2015, and I don't know that any race will ever compare. In the last half decade I've completed a triathlon, and I've determined that marathons aren't for me. I may run another at some point, but for now I'm taking a hiatus from 26.2. So where does that leave me with running goals?

NYC Marathon in 2015. The best.
I'd like to run a race in every state. It doesn't have to be something significant - maybe a 5k - but I want to pin on a bib and run in all 50 states. I have a lot of work to do; I've only run races in 12 states. I turn 40 this year, and I need to up the ante and knock some more states off the list. I've run dozens of races in Michigan and West Virginia. I ran (most of) a marathon in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I ran the Double Road Race in Indianapolis, Indiana. I ran a 10-miler in Louisville and a half marathon in Knoxville. I ran a 15k in Florida and a half marathon in Virginia Beach. I ran the Pittsburgh Half and an 8k in Chicago. I've run dozens of 5ks and 10ks and other half marathons, but I've got a lot of states to visit.

Double road race, Indianapolis 2013
That brings me to my place bucket list. It's a weird list. I've been to all the big cites (New York, Boston, Chicago, LA, DC, etc), and I love them all. But now I want to focus on places that are smaller and really have been creative about creating great communities. Boise is at the top of my list. I have been to Fargo but want to go back and spend more time there. I want to visit Bentonville, Arkansas. Random? Yes. But the home of Wal-Mart is alleged to have done some fantastic city design work. 

Paris still tops the list, and hopefully if I update this in six years I will have visited there. We're heading to Napa for my 40th birthday trip in October, and that is a bucket list trip. But I'm thinking Boise Half Marathon in 2019 (it's too close to Napa to do this year), and maybe the Bentonville Half in 2019 as well (it's in April). It should be easy to add races in Ohio and Maryland in the next year. 

What I love about running and placemaking is that the goal line constantly changes. I'd never considered the Deckers Creek Half Marathon as one of my bucket list races, but it remains one of the best races I've ever run. I love the City of Knoxville, TN, and I discovered that while running. As I'm working hard to rededicate myself to this sport and my goals, i'm excited by the possibilites of the next year. Who wants to run with me?

The Deckers Creek Half is still my PR race. Love it. 

Comments

  1. When you go to Boise, plan to meet up with Cathy and Dennis, Katie, Audie and Jess. They all live there! Or at least let them know when you'll be there so you have "local" fan support. Jess' Dad runs all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits