The Champions

I haven't blogged in a few weeks because life has been a whirlwind. My knee is healing well although I'm never a patient patient. I'm itching to run again, and given my progress I should be back to it in a month or so. I can't wait.

Until then I'm just hanging out...doing nothing. I'm being very sarcastic. A few weeks ago, less than a week after my surgery, my good friend Andy won his election to be the new Mayor of Lansing beginning in January. He asked me to be his Chief of Staff. It's a dream job to work for someone I know and true and believe in and to work for my city where I live and work and spend most of my time (in a ½ mile radius mostly). I am humbled by his faith in me and honored to join his team in January. But in order to manage the mental gymnastics this job will take, I need to be running again.

I'm so excited to get back into city government. I still don't know exactly how a (very) small town girl became a fervent urban core city supporter, but here we are. I worked for the Mayor of Norfolk, Virginia in my first job after law school, and I've worked on local government policy in different roles in the dozen years since. But working for a city, going to city hall every day and seeing the impact that can be made in people's lives...that's where it's at. I can't wait to get back to it.

I've been fortunate in my career to work with some stellar local officials, both elected and appointed. I have myriad people I can (and will) reach out to for advice and counsel and to whom I can vent. What I love most about local government is that these are the men and women spend every single day working to make their communities a better place. As one of my city manager friends said it's not a profession; it's a calling.

I was called a dozen years ago, and I've been hooked ever since. I love all cities, but I have a soft spot for those who have potential. For the gritty ones, the challenging ones, the underdogs. Here in the Lansing region so many of my friends leave the city. It's obviously their decision, but the last few years I have to admit I have started to take it personally. I know I need to get a handle on it, but love Lansing. This is the place I have chosen as my home. I've chosen to live and work and send my kid to daycare downtown. My life happens in a half mile radius, and I wouldn't trade it for any quiet cul de sac in the world. I have too much energy for the suburbs. I need the city.

I was in San Antonio last month at the International City Managers Association, and I talked to professionals from throughout Michigan and across the country about the great work they're doing in their communities. These people are passionate. They're driven. They take dwindling municipal resources and make sure our city services are stellar. These are my people. And now I am one of them again.

The people who work in my city and in cities everywhere are the champions. Their jobs are not as lucrative as the private sector. They work long hours and deal with tough political positions. But their passion is unrivaled, and they get me. They get me because they are me. They understand the importance of cities and the valuable work they do.

I'm so excited for January 1. I can't wait to walk from my house to city hall and jump in with both feet. I want to be part of making my city better. I look forward to the tough days, the challenging situations, and the fun we're going to have. Let's do this. #LoveLansing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits