Twilight

Today I turn 39 years old. According to lore (i.e. from my mom) I was born at 8:17 a.m. at the end of the hottest summer on record following months of practicing my cheerleading moves in Mom's belly. I made my debut nearly two decades ago, and I don't think I've stopped moving since.

Four years ago I wrote a blog on my 35th birthday. I didn't have all the answers then, and I sure as hell don't have them now. But in the four short years since I wrote that blog my life has been turned on its head and back again in all the best and worst ways.

I am a mom now. It's been nearly three years and I still feel the words "I'm Will's mom" gush out of my mouth like it just happened. It's the best job I've ever had. My husband and I are stronger than ever because that's what change and challenge will do to you. There has been so much joy the last few years with my family and friends. Our friend group has expanded and changed and is even more wonderful than it was four years ago. I am so grateful every day for my amazing friends. 

The last few years had a lot of change: parenthood, a new house, new jobs for both of us. It held a lot of sorrow in losing my dad and our pup Murphy. I've been hospitalized three times and had three surgeries and a blood clot. I've spent nearly two months of the last four years in the hospital, and that's crazy. When I look back at the photo I posted of myself four years ago I think wow, that woman had fewer wrinkles. She had much less to worry about. But I wouldn't change a single thing. I've earned every single one of these wrinkles.  

Wouldn't change a wrinkle.
I also ran so much and fell in love with so many new races and cities. And I got faster. I set PRs in every race distance including finally breaking two hours in the half marathon (a feat that I couldn't accomplish for years). According to my (very) quick research in four years I've run 2 marathons, 9 half marathons, 4 10ks, 19 5ks, 2 ten-milers, 1 8k and a sprint triathlon. 
Running the New York Marathon was a running dream, and the experience was made even sweeter by my awesome cheering section, my husband and two of our best friends. It inspires me to see this and know that I'll be back to running soon even if it's been a slow year.

My 2½ year old son has been to 22 states meaning that I have also been to 22 states in four years. We've been on on a cruise and spent a cold weekend in Toronto. I fell in love in Montreal, Quebec City, Portland, Oregon, Philadelphia, New York (again), Marquette, Michigan (in the winter!) and so many other places. I feel like I've lived a lifetime in four years, and what makes me so excited is knowing that while I'm in the twilight of my 30s, I'm just getting started. The extraordinary joy of this life outweighs any challenge. I have so much for which I am grateful, and I have to remind myself to express gratitude every day. Cheers to 39! May this year be even more fabulous than the 38 before it!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits