Is It Worth It? Let Me Work It.

Missy Elliott meant something very different with the lyrics in her song Work It than talking about running and cross training, but that song is stuck in my head from my treadmill playlist so I am using it.

The last few weeks I've been tired and struggling. Instead of my usual bad ass self I've felt sluggish. It's been rough. My blogs have been less about my running these towns and more about my struggling to be awesome. I've gone with it though because if this entire blog was just about my running and traveling that would be amazing and unrealistic. And everyone would hate me. These days I'm acutely aware of my own humanity. 

I'm a few weeks into the sub 20 minute 5k training schedule, and it's very difficult. I have never worked out to the point of nearly throwing up, but that's how I feel after every run. I'm running 4 days a week, and my workouts are much shorter than I'm used to. The intensity, however, is insane. It's also exhilarating. 

This afternoon I did a really fast tempo run alternating race pace (6:16 min/mile) with recovery (11:00 min/mile). It was about a 30 minute workout, and everything hurt afterward including (especially) my lungs. I felt exhausted, but I also felt amazing. I left the gym to pick up my son, chase him around until bedtime, do some work (because I spent several hours driving today and the bulk of the day in meetings), pack my son's lunch, and finally sit down with a glass of wine to write this blog. My body is sore, and I am tired. But it's the best kind of sore and tired. It's a reminder that today I pushed myself. Today I worked it. Maybe not the way Missy Elliott meant in her song (unfortunately), but probably the next best way to work it.

I look tired, but with an hour to go before my son's bed time I was feeling like a rock star.
Today I was reminded that underneath the mommy/work/life fatigue is the bad ass that is tired of being shut down. It's been a rough few weeks, and I've got a busy few weeks ahead. I'm finding perspective in this new workout schedule, and it's giving me the energy and determination to push through the tired. It is worth it. I can do anything for 30 minutes including run at a fast race pace. It's worth it to look like a Halle Berry poster.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits