I Brunch These Towns

Last year I threatened to rename this blog "I Brunch These Towns" because I was doing that more than running. I am thinking of maybe a third of the year (in the winter) I should simply brunch these towns and then run these towns the other two-thirds. I'm only being mildly facetious because running in the winter can be lovely. Also brunch is something that should happen every weekend regardless of season. Last weekend the temperatures were in the 40s, and it was ideal running weather (albeit a little windy). Unfortunately I did not run once. Brunch: 2 Running: 0.

Last week my son had a stomach bug which made running next to impossible. I did squeak in one short run on the treadmill but that was it. By the weekend he was back to himself and finally allowing us to get into our extensive brunching and friend visiting schedule. 

On Saturday morning we headed to Detroit to meet with friends at Parks & Rec Diner in the renovated Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) building in Detroit.  Our friends live in Detroit, and we always let them choose the places the cool kids go. It may have been too cool...we may have asked them to turn the music down. And to get off our lawn. Whatevs.

After brunch we walked around downtown Detroit (including my fav - Capitol Park) with our friends and their adorbs 6 month old marveling at all the development in one of my favorite cities in the world. As usual my husband and I started wondering why we don't live in Detroit. Then it turned into "maybe we could just have an apartment here." The reality is as much as I love Detroit our very walkable world would suddenly become much less walkable living there. That's not something I'm willing to sacrifice right now (or maybe ever) even for one of the coolest cities I know.

On Sunday I had planned to actually run, and the weather was perfect for it. My friend and I had planned to go for a long run, but I found the remnants of my son's stomach bug (or Crohn's...it's really hard to tell the difference). Running was not a good idea. I was feeling very nauseous (not a common symptom for me), so I slept it off a bit and felt better later in the morning just in time for Sunday brunch.
We went to visit some friends who just moved back to the Lansing area. We had brunch at their house while our boys, who are three months apart, played together (the sweetest). I only had one mimosa - a sure sign that I wasn't feeling 100 percent. After brunch our son slept for more than two hours, and I was grateful as I continued feeling more nauseous.

On Monday I stayed home and slept almost the entire day. I can't remember the last time I took that much time to rest. It rarely happens, and I felt so much better once I slept it off. Today I felt much more normal, and I was even able to get in a quick run on the treadmill.

Next week I start my 5k speed training in earnest. My extended running break is over. This weekend my husband, son and I are heading to Toronto for a much needed weekend away, and then it's time to get to work. I'll still get in brunch because to not brunch is to not live life to its fullest. But it will be brunch following speed work. I'm looking forward to one last hoorah before training gets real again!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits