Running, Work and Awesomeness in Traverse City

The Bayshore Half Marathon in Traverse City, Michigan was my second half in May of 2007. It was so different than my first (the Nike Women's Half in San Francisco). There were way fewer people, and it was quiet and scenic. It was totally different. It was then that I realized three things: 1) all races are different and have their own charm; 2) Traverse City is a really great town and 3) Michael Moore is a jerk.

I've reviewed Bayshore in the past, so I won't get into the details (cliff notes version: I mostly enjoyed it but wished it ran downtown). I've also raved about what makes Traverse City a fantastic community. Michael Moore, who founded the Traverse City Film Festival and favors slovenly clothing and baseball caps, also spends a lot of time in TC. I ran into him after the Bayshore Half, and said (in surprise), "Oh, hi!" He looked at me with disdain and said, "Don't" and walked away. I was never a Michael Moore fan, but that solidified my dislike.

On a more positive more last week I got the chance to spend a week in Traverse City for work. I was struck again at its charm - vibrant downtown, sparkling waterfront on crystal clear autumn days, local businesses, and a fantastic restaurant scene. It also boasts some great running trails that are perfect for marathon training (when I haven't stayed up too late to appreciate them).

I went for a short (about 3 miles) run my first morning in TC. I got to sleep in a bit, and I can't remember the last time that happened (I'm thinking it was roughly 9 1/2 months ago). My legs felt a little stiff, but I got into a rhythm and loved running along the bay.

The next morning I ran 5 miles with my friend/colleague just before dawn. It was a gorgeous morning as the sun made its appearance over the bay. I haven't run often in the morning since the baby was born, and it felt like coming home. The air was cool and had that first smell of autumn. I felt sluggish (which might have been attributable to the cocktails the night before), but we pushed through to log the miles.

We held two fundraisers (a tavern tour and wine tour), and they may or may not have contributed to my not using the third set of running clothes I packed. I've learned though that sometimes training isn't as important as experiencing life. 

Great of Chateau Chantal winery to anticipate my arrival

I love being in Traverse City, and it was a fun week filled with friends and colleagues I love, people who love communities, and exploring one of northern Michigan's most vibrant places. Sometimes I have to pinch myself because I get to do something I really believe in alongside people who have the same passion. It's hard to be away from my little man, but the snuggles I get when I return home are the best. Focusing on work and running are part of what make me a good mom and a well rounded human. I'm so grateful for all of it. 

Returning home snuggles. So much love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits