Normal is Overrated

I've gotten an IV infusion of medicine for my Crohn's every six weeks for the last 13 years. It's become totally routine, and I don't even think about it other than its inconvenience of setting aside half a day. In the age of smart phones and WiFi everywhere I can still get a lot of work done, and I don't miss a beat. Sometimes I'll tell people that I'm away from the office for an IV infusion, and I get this shocked/worried look. I have to quickly reassure them that it's a normal thing and no big deal.

My mobile office every six weeks

I realize that for most people getting an IV isn't a routine part of life. Having lab work done regularly, invasive tests, CT scans...most people don't have these on a regular basis. I've had so many CT scans that my doctor won't order them anymore because of the large amount of radiation I've been exposed to. This is my normal.

A few years ago I wrote one of my favorite blogs ever that running makes me feel normal. For the miles that I'm running I feel like everybody else. My legs hurt like every other runner's. I love being in that zone where I don't feel sick. I feel strong. When I shattered my half marathon PR a few weeks ago I felt so strong. What I didn't blog about was how I was sick the rest of the day. Long runs have started to really wreak havoc on my stomach. For the rest of the day (sometimes for a few days) after a long run everything makes me sick. This makes marathon training very challenging. The actual act of running makes me feel normal. The aftermath makes me feel like a Crohn's patient. It's a tough dichotomy, but not running is not an option.

There are certain things I can't eat, but that's the case with lots of people. And when I say "can't" eat I mean I know it will make me sick and sometimes I eat it anyway consequences be damned. That generally doesn't go well (sort of like the apple I ate this morning...that's gonna leave a mark.)  

My life feels normal, and every now and then I realize Crohn's has given me a skewed view of normalcy. I know last summer's hospital stay was not normal, and it probably wasn't normal to go back to work right away.  It's not normal to push myself constantly because I don't ever want my illness to be an excuse. I refuse to let Crohn's be in charge (although I realize how naive that statement really is). 

Normal is boring. If I didn't have Crohn's I wouldn't appreciate my life in the same way. I wouldn't appreciate how hard I have to work to push through the bad days. I wouldn't appreciate the easy days. Whatever it is that makes you abnormal welcome it. Celebrate it. It is part of what makes you fabulous.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Some Reasons Why Diet Culture is Garbage: I Poop a Lot and I'm Always Hungry

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?