I Love a Turkey Trot

I'd never done (or heard of) a turkey trot before I moved to Michigan. My first was in 2008 when I ran the Lansing Turkeyman Trot. I ran that race in 31:56, nearly 8 minutes slower than I ran the Harbor Lights 5k a few weeks ago. It turns out I've gotten a touch faster over the years. 

With a young Murphy after the 2008 Lansing Turkey Trot

I ran the Detroit Turkey Trot a few years ago in 2011. It was my first race post abdominal surgery.  That race is almost unmanageably colossal. I'm glad I ran it, but I'm happy to never run it again. There were 20,000 people running the 5k and 10k. It was relatively organized, but it was really just too much.

In Detroit after the Detroit Turkey Trot in 2011
In 2012 and 2013 we ran the inaugural and the second annual Morgantown Running Turkey Trot. The one in 2012 was my husband's first 5k, so that race has a special place in my heart. I was sad to not be doing it for the third consecutive year. We stayed in Michigan for Thanksgiving, so I decided to give the Lansing Turkeyman Trot another go.

Morgantown Running 2013 Turkey Trot
I love doing races that start downtown. My husband and I walked to the race from home. There were thousands of runners which made me realize how the race has grown since the last time I ran it. The start was extremely crowded. My husband and I just pushed into the crowd from the sidewalk and jumped into the race. 

I was running with my husband and knew I wasn't pushing for a PR. If I had been attempting to run fast I would have been really frustrated with the crowds. But I forced myself to relax and enjoy the race. The course ran through downtown Lansing which is beautifully decorated for the Christmas holiday. On Washington Square Christmas music was piping from speakers. I found myself smiling throughout the race just enjoying the crowd in my downtown.

Crossing the finish line
After the race we walked back home. I love having so many people downtown enjoying what is always the most fun race of the year. We then headed to my mother-in-law's house for dinner. I felt like I could eat a few more carbs because I'd run a 5k that morning. Running a turkey trot has become as much a Thanksgiving tradition as green bean casserole. It's one of my favorite races of the year, and it is a great reminder of how grateful I am for running.
 
All smiles when it's over

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chats with my Colorectal Surgeon (and other health musings)

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

The Art of Letting Go