When Cross Training Goes Bad

You all know I'm a huge fan of Jillian Michaels, the world's toughest trainer, as a form of cross training. My Jillian DVD collection has grown, and I love every one of her workouts. This weekend I was doing a kickboxing DVD with high knees (always fun). I felt a tweak in my knee, but I didn't think much of it at the time. It turns out it is always difficult to do a DVD in my house while dodging the 200 pounds worth of dog who like to lie around me.

The culprit
The knee was slightly sore on Saturday, and by Sunday it was extremely painful - especially any time I bend it. And it turns out that in order to function bending my knee is kind of a key component. Walking down stairs is the worst. I've suffered with IT band pain on my left leg, and this is nothing like that. This is an intense pain on the inside of the right knee cap. Fun times.

So my running has been taking a hit anyway in the last few weeks due to the craziness of our schedule, and now this. I'm still scheduled to run the Lake Stride Half Marathon in Ludington, MI this weekend, but that's looking less likely. Knees aren't something one should mess around with, and I'm trying not to 1) overreact or 2) underreact. So I'm overreacting...like I do.

I'm going to give it a few days to see how it feels. I'll take a few days off running and concentrate on yoga. I've been really stressed for the last few weeks, so it wouldn't hurt me to do some yoga anyway. Jillian really IS the world's toughest trainer. Just ask my knee. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chats with my Colorectal Surgeon (and other health musings)

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

The Art of Letting Go