Running for Irondogs

It's no secret that I love animals. I have two dogs and a cat, and I can't see a cat or dog without stopping to pet it. I can't imagine my life without animals. Nothing else can love so unconditionally, and they make our life so much fuller.

I was looking for my first 5k of the year, and I ran across the Irondog 5k in East Lansing. The Irondog fund was created to support surgeries for animals at Michigan State's Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Not only do I love animals, but last month we had to take our 15-year-old cat Daisy to MSU's emergency vet hospital when she was disoriented and not moving well. We had excellent care although we did end up having to put her down as she deteriorated quickly. It was such a sad and shocking experience, but I knew she was in good hands at MSU. I wanted to run this race and donate to the Irondog cause for all of those animals who give such joy to their humans.
 
My Daisy - best pet ever.
I really enjoyed everything about this race. First off the shirt is adorable - a red tech shirt that says "Irondog" on the front. This is one I'll definitely wear again. When we got to East Lansing before the race to pick up my packet there were dogs everywhere. Again, I can't resist the urge to pet animals, and I got my petting fix for sure. While picking up my packet I noticed one of the volunteers was the woman who was working the front desk the night we brought Daisy in to MSU. I thanked her and found myself choking up. I was once again grateful for her excellent care and the compassion of the ER veterinarian who got to deal with me being a hot mess as we were putting Daisy down.


The race ran through MSU's campus along the river. It was a great course, and there were tons of volunteers everywhere. Everything was well marked and it was a really fun race. There were over 700 participants, and even though the course was narrow at times it was never too crowded. After the race I grabbed a bottle of water and loved that there were bowls of water there for all of the pups who were running and walking.

At the start
Check out this handsome guy!
Focus at the finish
Water break for pups - I love it.
I thoroughly enjoyed everything about the race, and I always love running on Michigan State's beautiful campus. I would encourage my pet loving friends to do this race each year and/or to contribute to Irondog.  It's an excellent cause!     

 

Comments

  1. Daisy sounds like such a sweetie - she looks just like our Annie that we had to put down. Except I see no evidence that Daisy licked all the hair off her stomach because she had mental issues. Glad to see you could celebrate her memory and get a fun race in at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun run and a great cause! So sorry about your Annie. Pets become part of the family, and having good vet care makes a world of difference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits