Barium: It's What's for Dinner

This title describes my Crohn's drama-filled week perfectly. Last night I literally had barium for dinner (three bottles to be exact) which really does nothing to help an already unpleasant situation.  For those of you who have had abdominal CT scans (I've had more than my lifetime's share of radiation in the last 15 years) you know how gross it is to drink barium. I've done this dozens of times, but last night seemed worse. Maybe I am just in more of a complaining mood this week.

But I'll stop complaining because I had my first consult with a nutritionist, and it was awesome. After 15 years of reacting to what my body throws at me, it's exciting to be looking at a more proactive take on my health. As someone who does not enjoy cooking I'm not really looking forward to having to do more of it, but I'm up for the challenge. At this point I'm willing to try anything. I'm going to be on an aggressive program, and that will be interesting. I do want to be dedicated to it without being one of those annoying food zealot people. So if at any time I am being an annoying food zealot, slap me. Those people suck.

She also wants me to work on being less stressed and anal...I wish her luck in that goal. I do know that she's right - stress and other factors can affect my Crohn's. So I'm going to eat better, be less stressed and as a result run more miles. She didn't suggest that last part - that's all me.

These last few weeks have put running these towns on hold...or at least in slow motion. I've only run six miles this week, and even those were a struggle. I'm excited to be doing the Race for the Cure this weekend. It's one of my favorite events - these women are incredibly inspiring. Then it's off to Pittsburgh next week where I'm going to tackle a half marathon for which I'm wholly unprepared. I haven't run more than six miles since the Cherry Blossom 10-miler a few weeks ago...so this should be interesting. Let's be honest - it's not the first time I've hopped into a half marathon with less preparation than it deserved.

It's nearly May, and that means winter is finally starting to pass us by here in Michigan. It's beautiful running weather, and with any luck I'll be back to fully enjoying running with some serious life/diet changes over the next few months. There are so many races to be run - who has time to be sick?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chats with my Colorectal Surgeon (and other health musings)

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

The Art of Letting Go