Hit me with your best shot

This morning I got up early and ran a hard, fast run. My legs were throbbing, my chest was burning, and it felt amazing. Had I known how stressful this day was going to be, I would've done a few more miles. I don't know how people who don't run or work out deal with stress - it's the best way to get ready for a stressful day.

My job can be stressful, and we're in that legislative lame duck session time when days are long, tempers are short and without squeezing in a run I fear I may murder someone. It's the time when I am trying to make heads or tails or 1,000 different legislative issues, and someone (generally me) is taking a shot across the bow. It's a time where everyone is punchy, adversarial, and we're all a little short with one another.

It's this time of year that running is even more critical. It gives me time to reflect on the trials I've had in my life, and to think bring it, lame duck. Hit me with your best shot. I deal daily with severe Crohns problems; this is a cake walk. 

This is why running and traveling to new cities is so good for my soul. Nothing eases stress like a good run, and having a plan to travel to new cities to be inspired is critical for my well being. My husband and I have agreed that if we have not yet adopted a baby next spring, we are going to Europe. A good tour of old, fantastic, walkable European cities is just what I need to recharge my batteries and be inspired for what we can do here.

Until that time I will log lots of miles, dream about traveling and take deep breaths. Oh and listen to lots of Pat Benatar. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits