Running is Pure Michigan

Michiganders are familiar with the Pure Michigan campaign - Tim Allen's smooth voice narrating snapshots of the best this state has to offer. I'd like to propose the latest Pure Michigan ad: that running is Pure Michigan.



I have a goal to run a race in all 50 states, and with only 5 states down (6 once I do the Hot Chocolate 15k in Chicago in a few weeks!) I've got a lot of work to do. As I search for races in other states I realize something about Michigan - this state is for runners. That should be the slogan: Michigan is for runners. Seriously, can I market this stuff? It's gold! I'm thinking t-shirts, bumper stickers, the whole nine yards. But I digress.


As I look for races in other states, I find that my options are limited in a number of places. I grew up in West Virginia and absolutely love it there, but I have a hard time finding races there. They are few and far between. Here in the Lansing area particularly in the spring and fall, I have my pick of 5k races to do on the weekends. It's a smorgasbord of running options.

I will admit that I complain about Michigan's weather in the winter. I complain a lot. From a runner's perspective, however, Michigan's weather is awesome. We have cool spring and fall mornings and evenings, and rarely is it too hot on a summer morning to get in a long run.  It really is flawless running weather.

Michigan is also home to some of the country's most elite runners including Rockford, MIchigan's Dathan Ritzenhein (winner of three national cross country titles) and Rochester Hills, Michigan's Desiree Davila (the U.S.'s 4th fastest female marathoner). The editor of Runner's World, David Willey, is even from Michigan.

I don't know how to make cute videos, but I think I should find out in order to submit my idea to the Pure Michigan campaign. Running IS Pure Michigan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits