Living with Gratitude and Intention

I love a handwritten note. Receiving one is, to me, one of the great joys in life. I'll send handwritten notes for all kinds of reasons: thank yous, thinking of you, congratulations, sympathy, or just because it's Tuesday. Every single day I have at least one handwritten note in my mailbox ready to be sent to someone. It's Wednesday, and I've already been to the post office twice. It has me thinking a lot about gratitude and being intentional about checking in with people this week. Being intentional and expressing gratitude doesn't happen naturally. Gratitude and intention are a practice. And practice, as they say, makes perfect.

I've been thinking a lot about gratitude the last few months. The holidays are a season of gratitude. Presents are sent and received. Cards are exchanged. I send cards and presents because it makes me happy to send things to others. I love it. But I'm baffled that during this season of gratitude there are often not even acknowledgement of presents received. While I'm drilling into my son the importance of writing thank you notes, I rely on Amazon notifications to know that presents even arrive to others. We've arrived in a place where not only are there not handwritten notes, there isn't acknowledgement. It makes me said to think we're in a world where people aren't practicing gratitude. Expressing gratitude is fulfilling, and I want my son to realize that. 

I appreciate the concept that people don't send handwritten notes because there are so many instant ways to communicate. Why take the time to write someone a note when I can text, post on social media or email? Or even, on occasion, use the telephone (but I detest talking on the phone)?  My nearly 18-year-old niece sent me the best text thanking me for her Christmas present. It was a numbered, 3-part text thanking me, wishing me well (I was sick at Christmas) and recommending a book she'd read that she thought I'd like. It made me realize that while she hadn't handwritten a thank you note, she was intentional about expressing gratitude. There's potential there (note to self: buy her monogrammed stationery for her 18th birthday). 

Remembering to memorialize gratitude and other occasions doesn't happen on accident. At holidays I keep notes on my phone reminding me what gifts have been given to me or my son so appropriate notes can be sent. I have recurring reminders in my calendar to send birthday cards and gifts for friends and family. If I hear that a friend has a death in the family or another life event, I email myself a reminder to send a card and/or gift. It doesn't just happen. It is important to me to be intentional. Otherwise while I am still thinking of someone, a card may never get sent. 

As we enter a new year, I'm realizing gratitude is not just a feeling; it's an action. Showing gratitude, being intentional in thinking about people is important for me. In a world of instant gratification it's important to appreciate that being intentional in your thoughts and actions shouldn't be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits