The Sixth Summer

Last year I read something saying we only have 18 summers with our children before they are adults. Seeing those words immediately brought tears to my eyes. At the time my son was four and a half, and we were spending most evenings at the pool and already trying to fit in as much summer fun as possible. Michigan's summers feel so short.

Pool time!
Checking out the baby rhino at our zoo!
I know conceptually that our time with our children is limited. And after waiting six years to have a child I've always felt like each moment is fleeting. I still carry my son when he asks because I can. One day he will be taller than me, and I won't have that luxury. One day, and I'm sure it's sooner than I realize, he won't want to snuggle with mama or I won't be his favorite person in the world. Until that day I want to take advantage of all the small moments I'll miss someday - starting with summer.


Hiking while visiting Grandma

First time tubing!
Back in March when when our world ground to a screeching halt in the midst of COVID-19, the first few weeks of quarantine felt like snow days. Even though my husband and I were working, my son and I were baking and biking and enjoying the less hurried pace of the day. As all things do that snow day feeling wore off, and I started to feel like working and parenting full-time was a burden. I distractedly hushed my son as I sat on my fifth video call of the day. I tried to get work done and also give him the attention he needs. I felt pulled in every direction.


Fishing at the lake
But then the weather warmed up and summer arrived, and I forced myself to take a pause. As a busy working mom I have never been home with my son for more than a week. Our mornings have always been a frantic rush out the door by 7:25 am so I can drop my son off and get to work before 8 am. I generally have many evening events for work. All of a sudden my calendar was clear of events. We often travel, and suddenly our weekends were free. When I paused to think about it, I realized what a gift this time really is. 


A beautiful evening for ice cream by the pool

Riding bikes and climbing trees
Our mornings are a little slower. We're all waking up a little later and enjoying the slower pace. I love walking outside to water the plants in the morning and smelling the heat of summer. We've been going to the pool every day, and this is the year my son is really learning to swim. He's started golfing with his dad, and in the midst of a global pandemic I've found myself savoring these moments. I've discovered the best work/life balance I've had in the last two and a half years. I'm more present both physically and mentally. And while I miss being in the office and traveling, I know at some point we'll return to those things. But I will never get this time back. 


My sweet boy
The last few mornings have been cooler, and the air smells like autumn. While I love fall, I feel a little panicked that it feels like the summer is coming to an end. I'm simply not ready. 
In this, the sixth summer of my young son's life, I've finally taken the time to focus on what's important: the time we have together in these beautiful, fleeting warm days. In the fall my son starts kindergarten (albeit virtually), and our world is going to change. He's so smart and precocious and wonderful, and I hope he always stays that way. When he's an adult and we think back on the year 2020, we may think that this year is crazy. But I'll think of it as some of the best time of our lives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Reasons Why Diet Culture is Garbage: I Poop a Lot and I'm Always Hungry

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?