My Running Break is Over

I do not have a race on the calendar. It's weird. My knee has healed, my Crohn's is in remission, and yet my race calendar remains empty. I need to change that, but I haven't been ready. I haven't been ready to commit at a time when my calendar looks like a game of Tetris. I went for a run on Mackinac Island this morning. It's 8.2 miles to run the entire Island, and even though I'm not in 8.2 shape, I thought I'd give it a shot. Even if I walked a good bit of it that would be fine.

I had a conference call about a mile and a half into the route. It lasted almost 25 minutes. Then as I ran on this beautiful morning heading toward the back of the Island I realized at a run/walk pace I was going to really cut it close to meet my husband for lunch. I turned around and ended up running around five miles which, while not my goal isn't nothing. But even at five miles my body was not amused. I realized it's time - time to get back into running. It's time to get back into a routine and find my runner self again.




I don't need to run every day; quite the contrary, I will actually get injured if I try to run every day. If I run 3-4 times a week that will get me there. I've run 22 half marathons, and I'd love to run three more by the end of the year. Two years ago that goal seemed easy. This year it seems daunting. 

A wise runner/mom/kick ass city leader said to me recently that when you're a runner it's always in you even if you take a little break. The last year and a half I've prioritized health, family and work over running, and I'm okay with that. But it's time to look at my priorities. None of those things will ever be less important than running, but it's time to add running back into the mix. I know I won't be as fast for a while but it's not about speed. It's about connecting with myself and finding that space where I can let everything else go. I love the half marathon distance, and it's time to get back to it. Anyone want to run a half (or three?) with me yet this year?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chats with my Colorectal Surgeon (and other health musings)

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

The Art of Letting Go