Grit and Liquor

Those who know me know what I expect in the cities I love. I want a place that feels authentic. I want a place that has just the right amount of grit. What is that amount? I know it when I see it. Last week my husband had a conference in Milwaukee, and I was really excited to go. People seemed surprised by this excitement, but it's a Midwest industrial city on the water that's famous for making beer. What's not to like? Plus I could walk around with the Laverne & Shirley theme song in my head for four days.

I flew from Lansing with my champion toddler traveler to meet my husband who was already there. We were on our way downtown from the airport when I was already raving about street design because that's what I do. We stayed across the street from the convention center which was surprisingly cute. My experience with convention centers is they often look like a building out of a horrible Soviet Union photograph from 1987. Milwaukee has managed to break the horrible convention center mold. 

The weather was really cold and windy, but per usual I insisted we would walk everywhere. Thank goodness our toddler is adaptable. We did some kid-friendly things like the zoo and Discovery World. 

Toddler snacks in Discovery World

We did more parent-friendly things like day drinking and visiting their amazing city market. The Milwaukee Public Market is an anchor in the Third Ward neighborhood, filled with shopping, dining and a fantastic people-centered street. I fell in love with the market and the entire neighborhood.


The market inside and out. Fantastic.
We had to do a little searching to find creative (i.e. not pub food) dining options. The best food we had was lunch at Story Hill BKC a few miles from downtown. The restaurant has a little market, delicious cocktails and unbelievable food. It was definitely the culinary highlight of our trip.

Milwaukee is known for alcohol, brats and Bloody Mary's, so it's my kind of town. We had plenty of all of the above. A friend told me he thought I'd enjoy Milwaukee given the grit and alcohol that is around every corner, and of course I'm all about grit and liquor. People know me so well.

I got one quick run in during our time there, but I was woefully under dressed. The wind won. I have to say Milwaukee didn't start a love affair, but I'm intrigued by it. I'd definitely go back (preferably when it's warmer). I think a Bloody Mary on a patio could push me over the edge into true love.

Holy wind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits