It's Gettin' Kinda Hectic

For most of us the holidays are the busiest time of year. Our holidays are generally b-a-n-a-n-a-s, and I love every single minute of it. I hate it when I hear people complain about how busy the holidays are. This is the most wonderful time of the year! There are songs about it! This is the time of year to think of others, donate to charities, attend festive gatherings, wear cocktail dresses because it's Wednesday and soak in every minute of the sesason.

I recently saw someone on Facebook complaining about how they stopped sending Christmas cards because 1) they were too busy and 2) because social media fills that need. Let me just stop them right there. If you don't want to send Christmas cards then don't. But don't make excuses. The holiday season is only as busy as you allow it to get. If you want to eliminate certain traditions do it, but don't pretend you don't have time or that Facebook meets that need. It's just not the same thing.

You can insert any holiday tradition the place of sending holiday cards. I don't care what your holiday traditions are, but if you want to eliminate them have at it. But we always have time for the things that are important to us. I am slightly obsessed with my family's holiday card. I send 150 of them on November 30 every year. I spend months thinking about it. I'm probably the busiest person I know, but I make that time because it's important to me. This year I powered through addressing the cards (by hand...I don't do labels) during my son's nap time. I was so proud.

This December is the busiest we've ever had. I spent the first six days of the month in Texas. I returned home on Monday. I had my office holiday gathering on Tuesday. My mom arrived in Detroit (3 hour drive to the airport round trip) on Wednesday. On Thursday evening I had a hair appointment. On Friday I had 50 people over to my house. On Saturday I nursed a hangover and went out with my husband for our anniversary. On Sunday we hosted 25 people for our son's first birthday. Monday night was my son's one-year wellness visit (plus five vaccinations). On Tuesday evening we bought a new car. Tonight we had my husband's office (35 people) to our house for their holiday party. Thursday is a free(!) night. On Friday we have my son's daycare's Christmas party, and we leave at bedtime for West Virginia. On Saturday we drive eight hours to the Outer Banks for a week where I will sit comatose and do nothing (in my head...it won't work out that way). 

With my girlfriend at a party at our house

I rattle of this schedule to illustrate that despite how busy you are, you will find time for those things that are important. It's not a competition, but if there was a competition for busy, I'd be hard to beat. There are things I let go. I've gone for one run in three weeks. This holiday season I've let running slip. It was a conscious choice. It's not because I can't make the time; it's because I've chosen not to. I won't complain that I'm too busy for running. If it's that important to me (and this month it isn't), I'll make time for it.

I've always heard life is a marathon. I choose to live it more like the 100-yard dash. Whether you slow down this holiday season or not, remember it's all supposed to be fun. For me being that busy is fun. Don't make excuses for what you are or aren't doing. Do what's important to you and don't worry about the rest. With less than ten days to go, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits