The Busy Season

Every year in autumn it happens: the madness. Every year I think next year won't be like this. We'll say no. We'll manage the schedule. Yet every year as summer comes to an end I find myself looking at the calendar and wondering what the f*ck we've gotten ourselves into.   



Having two sets of season football tickets, including one set at my alma mater six hours away, is a blessing and a curse. We love college football, and we love seeing everyone. It's just that when the schedule comes crashing down on us that we realize how little time we have to do normal things like yard work and laundry.

Looking ahead at the next few months is daunting. We have one, ONE WEEKEND, in three months in which there is nothing planned. The other weekends include trips to Atlanta, Washington, DC, three trips to West Virginia, a bachelorette weekend, two weddings, a 5k, and a 10k. Then we have Michigan State football games (which take up entire Saturdays) on our "off" weekends. I'm also trying to fit in a weekend trip to Norfolk, VA to see my siblings.

That doesn't even get into my work schedule. Days here and there in Detroit or Ann Arbor. Presentations in Frankenmuth and Traverse City (neither of which are close). Our convention in Marquette, one of my favorite places in the world.

The end of November slows down for two seconds until our lame duck legislative session begins in earnest in December. Lame duck is held at the end of every two year session, and it's a crazy time of year where anything can and does happen. We will be at the Capitol until the wee hours of morning. My feet will hurt for weeks (because only quitters change into flats). After lame duck we'll head to West Virginia for Christmas, and then we'll start a new legislative session in January. The cycle of crazy begins all over again.

I've been trying really hard to slowly ease back into my busy life. I eased back into work. I haven't been exercising. I've been slow for the entire month of August. My body can only handle so much slow. I'm ready to be back to a blistering pace because that's normal. That's what makes sense to me.

Next week I'm hoping to start running again (slowly - I swear). We have two 5ks in September and a 10k (my husband's first!) in October. I think he's holding out hope that he can beat me in a race. My main goal is to not let him. There are so many great cities to visit in the next few months, and I'm looking forward to lacing up my running shoes again and getting back to what I love best: running these towns. All of these trips and events are ultimately going to be amazing, and I can't wait for all of these personal and professional adventures. I guess I just need to figure out how our laundry is going to get done.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chats with my Colorectal Surgeon (and other health musings)

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

The Art of Letting Go