Back Bends and Abdominal Surgeries Don't Mix

I'm at that stage in marathon training where it starts to get real.  The first few weeks of training are essentially a honeymoon phase. The long runs aren't that long, and I don't find myself getting up at the crack of dawn to run for more than two hours. This week I ran 14 miles, and my general rule of thumb is anything more than a half marathon is when it starts to get crazy.

It was a long weekend, and I decided to do my long run on Friday morning to get it out of the way.  Friday happened to be a muggy and horribly hot. In addition to the weather we'd attended a concert (Alabama - awesome) the night before. We didn't eat dinner, and I didn't drink any water. I woke up in the humid morning, starving, ready to somehow push through 14 miles. Before I left my husband said, "I'm just going to say this once, but I don't think you're prepared for a long run. I'm worried that you aren't ready this morning." Being my stubborn self I shook it off, but he was right. Do you see that honey? I put that in writing - you were right. You're welcome.

I got about two miles in before I realized it wasn't going to happen. I was so hot and dehydrated (not to mention hungry), and I began seeing spots in front of my eyes. I turned around and walked a good portion of the way back thinking there was no way I could run a marathon in 70 days.

On Monday I decided to give it another shot. It was a beautiful morning in the low 60s, and I rocked 14 miles like it was nobody's business. I felt great the entire run, and it was one of those runs that reminds me why I am a runner.

Somehow today my legs are on fire, and I am so sore...like I've never run before in my life. I decided tonight would be a good night to do some yoga and stretch out my sore muscles. I pulled out a DVD Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown from my extensive collection of Jillian DVDs. Jillian's yoga meltdown is like regular yoga but more intense - you don't hold poses but, in her words, "rep them out". It seemed like a good idea at the time.

In the end of the workout the pose is a back bend in the advanced version. I was a cheerleader in high school, and I used to rock back handsprings effortlessly. Doing a back bend was simple. Since high school I've had four abdominal surgeries, complete with copious amounts of scar tissue, and I haven't done a back handspring (or a back bend) in 15 years.

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea, while working out my sore muscles, to do a few back bends. It felt like high school...with a few additional pounds and four abdominal surgeries. Note to self: while I think I'm invincible, my Achilles heel is too much abdominal work. It hurts. Not in the way normal muscle soreness hurts, but in the way that would probably make my doctor yell at me.

I'm not 15 anymore (I know this is surprising), and as much as I don't like to admit it I do have limits. It turns out back bends are one of them. Ah the surprising things I find out when I think I can do anything. It turns out I'm not invincible, but still think I'm pretty close. Now onto 16 miles this weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits