Running fueled by...mojitos?

If you know me at all you know I'm clearly a fan of running while on vacation. I think it's the most interesting way to see a new place. So when my husband and I booked a week at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico I immediately thought perfect! Running on the beach.

A stroll on the beach in Riviera Maya

Our vacation in Mexico was fantastic - and I'm quite sure neither the heat nor the sheer amount of pina coladas and mojitos I consumed helped with my runs.  I'm used to drinking a Gatorade and some water after a run, not running back out to the pool and ordering another frozen cocktail. But when in Rome, right?


Shortly after arriving - I needed a mojito stat!


We ran on the beach alright. But I didn't account for the fact that it's hot in Mexico in August. Even at 7 a.m. the temperature is pretty warm. Regardless that didn't stop me from suiting up and running in the surf.  Also the ocean in Mexico in August feels like a warm bath. It's beautiful and feels great - but it's not the cool running companion I'd hoped for.

Enjoying the beach in the evening

Our first morning in Riviera Maya we got up early and headed down the beach. I wanted to run barefoot (this is a dream of mine now that I've read the amazing Born to Run). So I did just that - and it was hard. Good hard, but hard nonetheless.


The run on the beach in Mexico wasn't ideal. It was difficult and shorter than I'd have liked. It turns out the beach near where we were staying (not in front of the resort but further down) was a bit dirty. That doesn't bode well for barefoot running.



The other runs were done in the chilly air conditioning on the treadmill in the hotel gym. It wasn't exactly my dream of running in the sand but it helped me get in a few training runs before this upcoming weekend's 10 mile race.
Swimming following an afternoon run on the treadmill

This morning's run was a little sluggish, but I'm thinking it's because I'm still detoxing. It's definitely back to Gatorade for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits