My New Diet: Red Meat and Red Wine

It's no secret that I find healthy eating annoying. I understand the importance of fueling your body particularly when you're as active as I am. But I do find the preachy extremes irritating. I don't care what anybody else eats, but the judgey "if you eat this stuff you're a terrible human" attitude makes me seriously want to pick up a Quarter Pounder on the way home.

Having Crohn's has always made nutrition challenging for me, and even after working with a nutritionist last year I still feel like I haven't quite gotten the hang of it. I know how to keep my Crohn's under control, but fueling for intense races continues to be a challenge. This year my body decided to throw me a huge loop. I have been lightheaded and dizzy for a few weeks, and I went to my family doctor to figure out the deal.

I found out last week that I am severely anemic. I've been anemic before, but the last time my levels were this low I required blood transfusions (thankfully not necessary now). I've been obscenely tired and sluggish, and now it makes sense.

I have a difficult time digesting iron-rich, dark, leafy greens. So my doctor suggested my new diet plan should include red meat. Lots and lots of iron-rich red meat. And what pairs better with red meat than a nice red wine?

Stag's Leap Cabernet - my fav.

Being anemic is inconvenient. I have a lot to accomplish, and it's cramping my style. I'm on a slew of new vitamins, including a hard-core iron supplement, that should have me up and running at my normal speed in no time. My thoughts? When life hands you anemia, cook a giant steak and open your favorite Cabernet Sauvignon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Reasons Why Diet Culture is Garbage: I Poop a Lot and I'm Always Hungry

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?