Thirty (five), flirty and thriving

Today is my 35th birthday, and it has me thinking of one of my all-time favorite movies: 13 Going on 30. If you haven't seen it (sadness) it's a 2004 film where a 13-year-old girl wants nothing more than to be grown up.  She wakes up one day in her own 30-year-old body (which, lucky for her, happens to be Jennifer Garner's body) while still mentally a teenager.  I remember being a little girl and wanting desperately to be a grown up. Sometimes I feel deliciously grown up like when I'm having dinner and a cocktail by myself in an airport. However at 13 nobody tells you about the mortgage payment or taking the dog to the vet or never actually having a snow day.  Despite that I wouldn't trade 35 for 30 or 25 or 13 for anything.


As I reflect on this milestone birthday (halfway to 70? Gulp.), I realize that this age is unlike any other.  I remember a decade ago I was in the midst of a long relationship ending, I had just graduated from law school with no job prospects, and I felt like I was drifting. I didn't know where I was going next, and I didn't have focus.  Now I have this life that isn't exactly what I'd imagined, and yet it's so much better. 

I am married to a man who is in every way my perfect partner. He's funny, he's smart, and he challenges me every day. I am blessed with a family who lets me be my independent self and yet who are always there when I need them. My friends are just awesome. The best, best friends I could ever imagine. I have pets who are crazy and yet complete our little family. I am fortunate to get to advocate every day for something that I truly believe in.  

I've always wanted to travel frequently, and we're blessed with a life that lets us go pretty much wherever and whenever we want.   I never imagined I'd be a runner, and yet running is such a huge part of who I am.  It's my sanity and my nemesis all in one, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Do I have all the answers at 35? Not even close. But I've gotten to a place in my life where I know what I want, and I'm going for it. I don't apologize for being a strong and audacious woman. Maybe 35 is the year that I get it all right, but at the very least it's going to be the best year I can make it. Now who wants to join me for a cocktail? Cheers to 35!    

Rocking it out at 35

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Reasons Why Diet Culture is Garbage: I Poop a Lot and I'm Always Hungry

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?