Drive Until the Map Turns Blue

Memorial Day marks the unofficial beginning of summer, and I always find myself anticipating the arrival of sunshine and warm weather. Here in the Great Lakes State it also means heading somewhere to the water. It's a very Michigan thing for families to have cottages to visit. Some people drive for hours every weekend to their lakeside paradise. Fortunately my husband's family has a place about 50 minutes from here, so it makes it an easy day trip.

The weather this spring has been completely schizophrenic. The upside is that we've had gorgeous running weather. My husband and I ran this weekend, and I wore pants and a long-sleeved shirt. Not your typical late May weather.  We originally had planned to be in Chicago for the Soldier Field 10-miler, but our plans changed. That meant heading to the lake for sunshine and family time.

It was a chilly day - high 60s - but the sun was brilliant. Despite the cool weather there were lots of people out on the lake tubing, boating and riding jet skis. The skies were crystal clear, and it felt almost like summer. Almost. 

We're planning to travel a bit less this summer so we can spend more time at the lake. It's a great way to relax without having to go too far. Once the water is warmer I look forward to getting in the water (even though I'm not the biggest fan of lakes - thankfully they make water shoes). I hope your unofficial summer kickoff was warm, sunny and full of promise. It's a great time to go right from your run into the water. Here's to summer!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell me About Your Third Nipple

Can we Stop with the Negative Mom Culture?

The COVID Destruction of Habits